Physical Object: Connected Vehicle Roadside Equipment
RSE Traffic Monitoring
'RSE Traffic Monitoring' monitors the basic safety messages that are shared between connected vehicles and distills this data into traffic flow measures that can be used to manage the network in combination with or in lieu of traffic data collected by infrastructure-based sensors. As connected vehicle penetration rates increase, the measures provided by this application can expand beyond vehicle speeds that are directly reported by vehicles to include estimated volume, occupancy, and other measures. This object also supports incident detection by monitoring for changes in speed and vehicle control events that indicate a potential incident.
This functional object is included in the "Connected Vehicle Roadside Equipment" physical object.
This functional object is included in the following service packages:
- ST02: Eco-Traffic Signal Timing
- ST03: Eco-Traffic Metering
- ST04: Roadside Lighting
- ST07: Eco-Lanes Management
- ST08: Eco-Approach and Departure at Signalized Intersections
- ST09: Connected Eco-Driving
- ST10: Low Emissions Zone Management
- TM02: Vehicle-Based Traffic Surveillance
- TM04: Connected Vehicle Traffic Signal System
- TM21: Speed Harmonization
- VS08: Queue Warning
- VS15: Infrastructure Enhanced Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control
- VS16: Automated Vehicle Operations
This functional object is mapped to the following Functional View PSpecs:
- 184.108.40.206: Process Collected Vehicle Safety Data
- 1.1.6: Collect Vehicle Traffic Surveillance Data
- 1.1.7: Collect Vehicle Environmental Data
- 220.127.116.11: Process Intersection Safety Data
- 18.104.22.168: Process In-vehicle Signage Data
- 22.214.171.124: Provide Short Range Traveler Information
- 126.96.36.199: Manage Speeds at Roadside
|The field element shall communicate with on-board equipment on passing vehicles to collect current vehicle position, speed, and heading and a record of previous events (e.g., starts and stops, link travel times) that can be used to determine current traffic conditions.
|The field element shall aggregate and forward collected probe information to the center.
|The field element shall aggregate and forward collected probe information to other field elements.
Currently, there are no standards associated with the functional object itself though the interfaces may have standards associated with them.